"When I quote others I do so in order to express my own ideas more clearly." ~Michel de Montaigne

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Austin? Alrighty!

"I think Texans have more fun than the rest of the world." ~ Tommy Tune

When I quit my job at Georgetown University Hospital I knew that I would start travel nursing after my two months of freedom! My two months of freedom are almost over and I do believe that I had a panic attack earlier this week. As of Tuesday night I had no idea where I would be working next or if I would even have a job. No longer friends, no longer!!


I will start my career as a travel nurse in Austin, Texas! I am going to be a pediatric float nurse at Dell Children's Hospital. As before, I will be working 12 hour shifts with a total of 36 hours a week. Unlike in DC, I will be working day shifts (7 AM - 7 PM) which will be a great change of pace for me! 


For those of you who are not familiar with what travel nursing is I will fill you in. There are hundreds, probably thousands of travel companies in the US. These companies provide jobs for RN's, therapists, and technologists. I will be employed by Cross Country Travel Corps who have set me up with the job at Dell. With travel nursing a nurse can pretty much choose where they want to go (if there is an open position) if they are offered the job. A travel position usually last about 13 weeks. After the assignment is over a nurse can either renew their position (if available) or head somewhere new and fun! Most travel companies, like mine, will either provide a fully furnished apartment or offer money to the employee for housing. They also pay the utilities! Sounds pretty great huh?  


And it's easy too... For me- I let my recruiter know that I was interested in the position Tuesday night. She notified the hospital Wednesday morning. I interviewed via the phone Wednesday midday. Heard back from my recruiter hours later who said she heard good news and would let me know all the details. I had a voicemail from my recruiter Thursday morning telling me that we got the formal offer. And voila...I am no longer unemployed!! WOOO. Pretty fast and crazy, huh!? 
Now we just have to find my apartment, pack the car, and move to Austin!!


Anywho...that's what's next! I am really excited and ready to start anew. 


LOVE LIFE

1 comment: