"When I quote others I do so in order to express my own ideas more clearly." ~Michel de Montaigne

Saturday, May 19, 2012

our Amazing European Adventure

"Tourist don't know where they've been, 
travelers don't know where they're going." 
~Paul Theroux

I am so excited for this post! I honestly can't contain myself. Partly because I feel like I have been waiting a while to write about it and partly because I am thrilled for the trip itself. 
As most of you already know, my little brother (Chris) and I are leaving soon for a 9 week Amazing European Adventure! 9.5 weeks, 65 days, 10 countries, and tons of fun! Oh my gosh! I still can't believe it. I have been hearing of so many people about to go on fun vacations and my immediate reaction is oh man, i'm jealous, how lucky. Then I have to remind myself that I too am beyond lucky! 

S00oo...you might be wondering how this is happening. 
"Doesn't she have to work?" 
"How is she going to pay for that?"
Please...I have asked myself these questions as well, but if you know me at all you know that I absolutely can not pass up a travel oppurtunity. Especially not one this grand and exciting! 
Here is what I will tell you. I am a travel nurse which means that I can choose when I want to work and when I want to holiday. Now is when I have chosen to holiday. I have been saving money for some time now with long term plans to hopefully move abroad and will be using these funds for this trip abroad (smart?). I will be traveling with Chris who has just graduated from the University of Arkansas and will be starting medical school in the fall at University of Arkansas Medical Sciences (I've tried to avoid the awkward conversation that this will be his last true extended vacation for a long, long, long time...sorry brother). I am also the person who will tell anyone that if you truly want something to happen then you yourself have to make it happen. This is exactly what I am doing. In order to do something big you will always take risks, but without risks where's the fun in living. 

Plans...
Like I said. We are going to try to do 10 countries in 9 weeks. We both realize that this might not happen and are comfortable with that reality. We have purchased an open Eurail ticket and are pretty much free to ride when and where we want to all around Europe for 2 months. 
That is about all we have planned. Honestly. 
I have slowly started to freak out over the fact that I have not done more planning. As of today (less than 48 hours from departure) we have our flights (to and from the US), travel from England to the mainland, Eurail, and first two nights booked. AHH. But as I keep reminding myself, our plan is to talk with other hostel goers, listen to their advice, and go. We will be booking hostels as we travel to the city and reading our travel books, blogs, and advice like mad. 

Here are the google maps I created with a rough outline of the countries/cities we would like to visit and in what order (as said before...this will probably/most likely change as we travel). 

from Arkansas to Texas to Montreal to London


We leave Monday May 21st around noon and return July 24th around 6 pm. Please feel free to comment or email with tips or advice and PLEASE say prayers that all goes well! 
We are so excited and both realize how truly lucky we are to have this opportunity!
Now if I can just pack...

Oh and I will be blogging as much as possible while traveling so stay tuned for some exciting stories (hopefully!). 

LIVE LIFE and travel. and pray for us!!

No comments:

Post a Comment