"When I quote others I do so in order to express my own ideas more clearly." ~Michel de Montaigne

Friday, May 18, 2012

A roadtrip to remember

"A journey is best measured in friends, rather than miles." ~Tim Cahill

2,348 miles to be exact. And some pretty amazing friends!

This is what I did last week. I drove 2,348 miles and visited friends along the way. 
After packing my car in San Francisco and saying a quick goodbye to my Cali friends I headed towards home. Since I knew I would be traveling alone I decided to make it a worthwhile trip and visit some friends. 


Here is how my trip went down...
Day 1 plan. Leave SF around 0600 with plans to stop somewhere north of the Salt Lake City area. 
beautiful Jackson, Wyoming
Day 1 reality. I left SF at 0615. At about 3 that afternoon I re-evalutated and decided it might be possible to make it all the way to my destination, Jackson, Wyoming. I was making good time and decided to keep jugging...and that I did. After several conversations with Mom and Dad who tried to convince me against it, I drove 14 hours and 920 miles to Jackson Hole. I'd planned to stay in Jackson for a couple days and visit with an old roommate and dear friend, Kendra and her boyfriend (my friend), Alex. 
Day 2 plan. Finish drive to Jackson Hole and arrive shortly after lunch time.
Day 2 reality. I woke up in Jackson Hole, felt great, and had a fabulous day.  As many before me, I feel in love with Jackson Hole! 
Day 3 plan. Spend the day (Cinco de Mayo) in Jackson.
Day 3 reality. Spent the day in Jackson!
Day 4 plan. Leave Jackson and drive to Denver, Colorado.
Day 4 reality. I stayed in Jackson and enjoyed yet another day! This completed 3 full days in Jackson and I will absolutely venture back asap! LOVED it!
Cinco de Mayo



Enjoy these photos of Jackson Hole, friends, and fun times!

 drinks & two stepping at the old Cowboy Bar in Jackson Hole

Kendra & Alex
Alex's Brisket (YUM)

touching the Grand Teton
Ken & I at the Tetons

back to the trip...


Day 5 plan. Drive from Denver, Colorado to Kansas City, Kansas.
Day 5 reality. I left Jackson about 9 am and drove 515 miles to Layfayette, Colorado. Here I stayed with a friend that I made while living in San Francisco. She is also a travel nurse and is currently on assignment in Colorado. We spent the evening in Boulder and I really, really enjoyed Boulder. This was another city that I had never before visited and (surprise, surprise) I feel in love. I could see myself living in this quaint college town right at the base of the mountains...beautiful! 
Day 6 plan. Drive from Kansas City, Kansas to Hot Springs, Arkansas (HOME!).
Day 6 reality. I woke up early (8) in Boulder and decided to start the long, boring, flat drive to Kansas City, Kansas. This drive was nice, but like I said...long, boring, and flat. All 620 miles of it. The drive was so worth it though, because I ended the day at my dear friend Amanda's house. She is an old friend and short time roommate from TCU who is now married to wonderful Rob. They are both from the area and moved back after dating long distance through college. They are happily married and just got a sweet new pup. It was great visiting with them and meeting baby Gus!
Day 7 plan. Be in Arkansas. Free of driving, unpacked, and enjoying home cooked meals!
Day 7 reality. Both Amanda and Rob have "real people" jobs so we woke up early and I got on the road right away. Just a short 420 miles and one stop later I was safe at home...alone. That's right. Shortly after I arrived my parents left town and I was all alone. (excuse me while I briefly relive my pitty party that took place, thanks) 


2,348 miles and some pretty amazing friends! Amen!
I hope you are all lucky enough to have a road trip like this one at some point in your life. I felt so blessed and lucky to be welcomed by loving friends along the way and was incredibly grateful to make it home without a single problem. Again...I am blessed! 
Do this, do it alone, and enjoy yourself along the way. I know I did!


I must say another HUGE thank you to these friends! I hope you had as much fun as I did. Because of you I will never forget this trip and forever be grateful to you and your friendship! Love. 



LIVE LIFE and enjoy this beautiful country we call home!

No comments:

Post a Comment